Skip to content
TemplesHistorical SitesLandmarks & Memorials

Wat Paramaiyikawat

วัดปรมัยยิกาวาสวรวิหาร

Nonthaburi Reviewed Jul 2026
Daily 13:00-16:00
Entry Free

Wat Paramaiyikawat is the temple that gives Koh Kret its postcard image: a white, unmistakably tilted chedi standing at the island’s northeastern point, visible from boats on the Chao Phraya long before you land. The temple itself is older than the chedi’s famous lean — founded in the late Ayutthaya period as Ko Kret’s community grew, abandoned in 1764 when Burmese forces occupied Ayutthaya, then rebuilt in 1774 on the orders of King Taksin by Mon refugees who resettled the island. It kept its Mon architectural identity through a later royal restoration and remains one of the clearest places on Koh Kret to see that heritage still standing.

The chedi — Phra Chedi Mutao — was built as a replica of the Shwemawdaw Pagoda in Bago, Myanmar, a monument the Mon community holds in particular reverence. King Chulalongkorn had Buddha relics sealed inside in 1884 and, a decade later, renamed the whole complex Wat Paramaiyikawat (“temple of grandmother”) when he ordered its restoration in 1874 — deliberately preserving the Mon style rather than converting it to central Thai temple architecture. Around 1891, riverbank erosion caused the pagoda to tilt; a 1992 attempt to straighten it failed, and it has leaned ever since. Both the temple and the chedi have been registered as national ancient monuments by the Fine Arts Department since 1935.

Insider Tip: Get off the Pak Kret ferry at the Wat Paramaiyikawat pier rather than one of the other Ko Kret landings — it puts you right at the temple and chedi first, before the walk around to the island’s pottery villages and market stalls.

The temple functions as the de facto gateway to Koh Kret: its ferry pier, directly opposite Pak Kret’s Wat Sanam Nuea pier on the mainland, is the busiest crossing point onto the island, and most day-trip routes start here. As a second-tier royal temple, the compound has more formal upkeep than a typical village wat, but it hasn’t been over-restored into a shiny replica — the wear on the chedi’s white plaster and the lean itself are the point, not a flaw to fix. Weekends bring the heaviest foot traffic, since Koh Kret’s pottery and food-stall circuit draws Bangkok day-trippers alongside temple visitors.

Key Facts:
  • Entry fee: Free
  • Hours: Daily 13:00–16:00 for the main viharn; temple grounds and chedi accessible more broadly during daylight hours
  • Getting there: Ferry from Wat Sanam Nuea pier, Pak Kret, to the Wat Paramaiyikawat pier — a few baht each way, no bridge on this crossing
  • Landmark: Phra Chedi Mutao, the leaning white pagoda modelled on Myanmar’s Shwemawdaw Pagoda, tilted since around 1891
  • Status: Second-tier royal temple; both temple and chedi are registered national ancient monuments (1935)

Pair the temple with the rest of Koh Kret island — the pottery workshops and Mon food stalls are a short walk from the pier — and the Suan Kret Buddha statue elsewhere on the island. See the Nonthaburi destination guide for the wider area.

Location & Directions

51 Moo 7, Chaeng Watthana Road

Nonthaburi, Thailand

Get directions

Show your taxi or Grab driver

วัดปรมัยยิกาวาสวรวิหาร

Within Walking Distance

Frequently Asked Questions

Why is the chedi at Wat Paramaiyikawat leaning?
The white pagoda, known as Phra Chedi Mutao, was built upright as a replica of Myanmar's Shwemawdaw Pagoda. Riverbank erosion caused it to tilt around 1891, and a 1992 restoration attempt failed to straighten it. It's been leaning ever since and is now the recognised symbol of Koh Kret.
What's the temple's connection to the Mon people?
Ko Kret was settled by Mon refugees, and this temple — abandoned in 1764 during the Burmese occupation of Ayutthaya — was rebuilt in 1774 by Mon immigrants under orders from King Taksin. It kept its Mon architectural character through a later royal restoration, and Mon-style pottery and boat races are still part of local island culture today.
How do I get to Wat Paramaiyikawat?
By ferry from Pak Kret on the Nonthaburi mainland — boats run from Wat Sanam Nuea pier across to the Wat Paramaiyikawat pier for a few baht each way. There's no bridge to the island; the ferry is the only way across at this crossing point.
Is there an entry fee?
No, entry to the temple grounds is free. The frontmatter's listed hours (daily 13:00–16:00) apply to the main viharn; the island and temple compound itself are accessible for longer than that window.
Why is it called "temple of grandmother"?
King Chulalongkorn renamed it Wat Paramaiyikawat in 1874, a name that translates roughly to "temple of grandmother," after ordering its restoration while preserving the original Mon architectural style. It's classified as a second-tier royal temple.
Spotted something out of date or incorrect? Let us know

A real person reads every report — thank you for helping us keep this page accurate.

Stay Near Wat Paramaiyikawat

Compare places to stay in Nonthaburi, or open the map for options closest to the attraction.

View nearby hotel map

More Places to Visit in Nonthaburi

Explore More by Category