Skip to content
Temples

Wat Cherng Tha

วัดเชิงท่า

Ayutthaya Reviewed Jul 2026
Entry Free

Wat Cherng Tha sits off Ayutthaya’s city island, beside Khlong Mueang — the old channel of the Lopburi River — in what was once a prime riverside position near the royal palace and the boat arsenal. The name means roughly “Pier Temple,” a nod to the river trade that ran past its walls when Ayutthaya was Siam’s capital. Its Khmer-style prang, with standing Buddha images set into niches on all four sides, points to an early-Ayutthaya founding, though the temple’s original name and exact date have been lost.

The temple has a documented restoration history most ruins in Ayutthaya lack. During King Narai’s reign (1656-1688), the royal envoy Phraya Kosa Pan — famous for leading Siam’s 1686 embassy to the court of Louis XIV — renovated the site and it briefly took the name Wat Kosa-was after him. King Borommakot carried out further repairs in the 18th century, and after the fall of Ayutthaya in 1767, both Rama I and Rama IV ordered additional restoration; it was Mongkut (Rama IV) who gave the temple its current name, Wat Choeng Tha. Local tradition also places Phraya Tak Sin — the future King Taksin — here as a young novice monk before the Burmese invasion, though that detail survives as oral history rather than official record.

Much of what’s standing predates that history of repair: the prang’s Buddha niches, an ubosot to the west, dozens of small chedis in mixed styles, and the original sema boundary stones marking the ordination hall. Some of the standing Buddha images lost their heads when Burmese forces sacked the city in 1767; others, executed in a style closer to Sukhothai or Lanna than central Thai work, survived close to intact. A working sermon hall on the active side of the compound has murals depicting Jataka tales, though the paint has faded and flaked in places from three centuries of humidity.

Key Facts:
  • Entry: Free, no fixed opening hours (daylight visiting)
  • Setting: Off the city island, beside Khlong Mueang (the old Lopburi River channel), Tha Wasukri subdistrict
  • Main structure: Large Khmer-style prang with standing Buddha niches in four directions
  • History: Restored under King Narai by envoy Phraya Kosa Pan (renamed Wat Kosa-was), later renamed Wat Choeng Tha by Rama IV
  • Notable link: King Taksin reportedly ordained here as a novice before Ayutthaya fell in 1767 Insider Tip: Wat Cherng Tha is a functioning monastery, not just a ruin — monks’ quarters, a bell tower, and a small museum of ceramics and terracotta sit alongside the historic core, so keep noise down near the living quarters even while photographing the prang.

Combine the visit with Wat Kasattrathirat Worawihan, another riverside temple off the city island, or Wat Lokkayasutha for its reclining Buddha — both make an easy loop by bicycle or tuk-tuk without doubling back through the crowded historical park. Wear comfortable shoes for uneven brick paving, and cover shoulders and knees; this remains consecrated ground with resident monks rather than a roped-off museum piece.

Location & Directions

Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya

Ayutthaya, Thailand

Get directions

Show your taxi or Grab driver

วัดเชิงท่า

Within Walking Distance

Frequently Asked Questions

Is Wat Cherng Tha free to enter?
Yes, there's no admission fee and no fixed gate hours — it's an active temple with monks' quarters, so early morning or late afternoon is both the coolest and the most respectful time to visit.
What does the name Wat Cherng Tha mean?
It translates to roughly "Pier Temple," a reference to its position on Khlong Mueang, the old channel of the Lopburi River that once carried royal boat traffic past the site.
Why are some of the Buddha images headless?
Most date to the Burmese sack of Ayutthaya in 1767, when temples across the old capital were looted and damaged. The standing Buddha images in the prang's niches, in the "Halting of Evil" pose, are among the ones that survived largely intact.
Is Wat Cherng Tha connected to King Taksin?
Local tradition holds that Phraya Tak Sin — later King Taksin, who rebuilt Siam after Ayutthaya's fall — served as a novice monk here before 1767, though this is oral history rather than a documented royal record.
How do I get there from central Ayutthaya?
It's a short ride by bicycle, tuk-tuk, or motorbike taxi from the historical park, on the north side of the old city moat rather than on the island itself.
Spotted something out of date or incorrect? Let us know

A real person reads every report — thank you for helping us keep this page accurate.

Popular tours in Ayutthaya

Stay Near Wat Cherng Tha

Compare places to stay in Ayutthaya, or open the map for options closest to the attraction.

View nearby hotel map

More Places to Visit in Ayutthaya

Explore More by Category