Skip to content
TemplesHistorical Sites

Wat Chedi Jed Yord

วัดเจดีย์เจ็ดยอด

Chiang Mai Reviewed Jul 2026
Daily 08:00-17:00
Entry Free

Wat Chedi Jed Yord’s seven brick spires copy the Mahabodhi Temple in Bodh Gaya, India, where the Buddha reached enlightenment — one of only a handful of temples in Thailand built directly on that design. King Tilokaraj commissioned it in 1455, and in 1477 it hosted the Eighth World Buddhist Council, where monks revised the Pali Canon that Theravada Buddhism still uses today. Entry is free, daily 08:00-17:00, on Superhighway Road (Chiang Mai-Lampang) northwest of the old city.

The central chedi is a squat, windowless rectangular block rather than the bell-shaped stupa typical of Lanna temples — a deliberate copy of the Bodh Gaya original. One large stepped pyramidal spire rises from the centre of the roof, ringed by four smaller matching spires, with two bell-shaped chedis capping the building’s two side annexes: seven points in total, which gives the temple its name (chet yod, “seven spires”). Roughly 70 stucco reliefs of thewada (celestial beings) run along the exterior walls, their faces worn soft by more than five centuries of monsoon rain; local tradition holds several were modelled on King Tilokaraj’s own relatives.

Tilokaraj sent an envoy to Bodh Gaya to record the original stupa’s measurements in 1455, then used the finished temple as the venue for the Eighth World Buddhist Council twenty-two years later — a gathering of senior monks who revised and standardised the Tripitaka. Tilokaraj’s reign brought monks from Sri Lanka to Chiang Mai to strengthen Buddhist scholarship, and this temple, more than any other in the city, was built to project that ambition. The largest chedi on site, built in 1487, holds Tilokaraj’s ashes, and the temple is still a pilgrimage stop for Thais born in the Year of the Snake, tied to a bodhi tree on the grounds that devotees believe descends from a cutting of the original tree at Bodh Gaya.

Wat Chedi Jed Yord sees a fraction of the foreign visitors who queue at Wat Phra Singh or Wat Chedi Luang inside the old city walls — most people here are Thai, lighting incense at the chedi base or resting under the shade trees between the ruins. The grounds are large enough for a slow 45-minute walk around all seven structures without crowding anyone. A taxi or Grab from the old city takes about 10 minutes; songthaew drivers heading north on the Superhighway will also drop passengers at the gate for a shared fare. Cover shoulders and knees before entering, and expect the stucco figures to photograph best in the flat light of late afternoon, once the midday glare has passed.

Insider Tip: The Chiang Mai National Museum sits directly across Superhighway Road — a 5-minute walk. Its Lanna Buddha images and artefacts fill in the temple’s back story, so pair the two into one stop.

Key Facts:
  • Official name: Wat Photharam Maha Vihara (also Wat Chet Yod / Wat Jed Yod)
  • Built: 1455, commissioned by King Tilokaraj
  • Hosted: the Eighth World Buddhist Council, 1477
  • Entry: free, daily 08:00-17:00
  • Address: 90 Super Highway Road (Chiang Mai-Lampang), Chang Phueak

Location & Directions

90 Super Highway Road (Chiang Mai-Lampang)

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Get directions

Show your taxi or Grab driver

วัดเจดีย์เจ็ดยอด

Within Walking Distance

Frequently Asked Questions

Is this the same temple as other seven-spired chedis in Thailand?
No — this is Wat Chet Yod, officially Wat Photharam Maha Vihara, on Superhighway Road in Chang Phueak, Mueang Chiang Mai (TAT ID 4065). A separate Wat Jed Yod exists in Chiang Rai province, over 180 km north, and "Chet Yot / Jed Yord / seven spires" naming shows up loosely across several unrelated Thai temples, so check the province and address before booking a driver.
What does chet yod mean, and why does the temple have seven spires?
Chet yod is Thai for seven spires — one large stepped pyramidal spire crowns the roof's centre, four smaller matching spires ring it, and two bell-shaped chedis top the building's two side annexes. The design copies the Mahabodhi Temple in Bodh Gaya, India, where the Buddha is said to have reached enlightenment; King Tilokaraj sent an envoy to record its measurements in 1455 before this copy was built.
Is Wat Chedi Jed Yord free to visit, and what are the hours?
Yes. Entry is free for everyone, and the grounds are open daily from 08:00 to 17:00. Cover shoulders and knees before walking past the main chedi.
What is the historical significance of Wat Chedi Jed Yord?
King Tilokaraj founded the temple in 1455 and used it in 1477 as the venue for the Eighth World Buddhist Council, where senior monks revised the Tripitaka, the Pali-language scripture Theravada Buddhism still relies on. The temple's largest chedi, finished in 1487, holds Tilokaraj's ashes, and roughly 70 weathered stucco reliefs of thewada (celestial beings) still run along the building's outer walls.
How do I get to Wat Chedi Jed Yord, and how long should I plan for a visit?
It sits on Superhighway Road (Chiang Mai-Lampang), about 2 km northwest of the old city walls — a short drive or songthaew ride from the centre. Most visitors need 30 to 45 minutes to walk the grounds; pair it with the Chiang Mai National Museum directly across the road to make a half-day of it.
Spotted something out of date or incorrect? Let us know

A real person reads every report — thank you for helping us keep this page accurate.

Popular tours in Chiang Mai

Stay Near Wat Chedi Jed Yord

Compare places to stay in Chiang Mai, or open the map for options closest to the attraction.

View nearby hotel map

More Places to Visit in Chiang Mai

Explore More by Category