Wat Tha Luang, Phra Aram Luang
วัดท่าหลวง พระอารามหลวง
Wat Tha Luang holds formal status as a third-class royal temple (Phra Aram Luang, Chan Tri, Chanit Saman) — one of the relatively few royally sponsored temples in Phichit province. It sits on the Nan River’s west bank in Nai Mueang subdistrict, in the middle of Phichit town. Entry is free, and the grounds are open daily from 05:30 to 20:30.
Experience
The temple was founded around 1845, received formal land consecration (wisungkhamsima) in 1949, and was elevated to royal-temple status in 1986 — a promotion reserved for temples with particular historical or religious standing. Inside the ubosot sits Luang Pho Phet, a bronze Buddha image from the Chiang Saen period, cast in the Maravijaya posture (subduing Mara) with a lap width of 1.40 metres and a height of 1.60 metres. It’s one of the most revered Buddha images in Phichit province, and the main reason local devotees make the trip rather than visiting a temple closer to home.
The roughly 46-rai grounds run along the river, with the ordination hall and supporting buildings arranged around the site rather than crowded into a single courtyard. Each September, the stretch of the Nan River directly in front of the temple becomes the racecourse for Phichit’s King’s Cup long-boat races — one of the few times of year the temple grounds see a much larger crowd than the steady trickle of daily worshippers.
Insider Tip: Time a visit for early September if you want to see the King’s Cup long-boat races on the river out front. Outside that window, the temple is a quiet, local place of worship rather than an event.
Atmosphere & Timing
Wat Tha Luang runs on local rhythm rather than a tourist schedule — the long opening hours (05:30-20:30) exist because worshippers stop by before and after work, not because of any curated visitor programme. Early morning and early evening are when you’ll see the most activity around Luang Pho Phet’s shrine.
Watch out: As an active royal temple, dress rules are enforced more consistently than at smaller village wats — cover shoulders and knees and remove shoes before entering the ubosot.
Practical
The temple is a short trip from central Phichit by local transport (songthaew or motorbike taxi), near the old city hall on the west bank of the Nan River.
- Entry: Free
- Hours: Daily 05:30-20:30
- Status: Third-class royal temple (Phra Aram Luang, Chan Tri), elevated in 1986
- Founded: ~1845; roughly 46 rai of grounds on the Nan River
- Main image: Luang Pho Phet, a bronze Chiang Saen-period Buddha (1.40m lap width, 1.60m height)
For more of Phichit’s temples, Wat Nakhon Chum and the Bueng Si Fai lake park are both a short drive from Wat Tha Luang.
Location & Directions
Mueang Phichit, Phichit
Phichit, Thailand
Show your taxi or Grab driver
วัดท่าหลวง พระอารามหลวง
Within Walking Distance
Frequently Asked Questions
What grade of royal temple is Wat Tha Luang?
Is entry free?
What's the main Buddha image inside?
Why is September a good time to visit?
How do I get to Wat Tha Luang?
Spotted something out of date or incorrect? Let us know
Stay Near Wat Tha Luang, Phra Aram Luang
Compare places to stay in Phichit, or open the map for options closest to the attraction.






